Thursday, April 21, 2011

Discipline

"Therefore I run thus not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified." I Cor 9:26-27

Wow that verse says so much to me. Discipline is a word we all have heard and intuitively know what it means but can we handle it. We live in a society where we want what we want when we want and we often get it. Most of dont know how to discipline ourselves. I know I struggle with this in various aspects of my life. How do I discipline myself to even take the time to read and pray? How do I form this habit?

I find something else very interesting in this verse. Paul says he preaches to others but he himself could still become disqualified. Wow. That hits home. How often do we "help" others do the right things in their life whether it be encouraging healthy behaviors, discussing money issues, or telling them how to study the Bible more? We may give great advice and have all the right answers but do you do it yourself? Its easy for me to gain the knowledge to know what to do and its even easy for me to encourage others to be better; I struggle with doing it myself. I struggle with having in consistent Bible study.

I challenge you to think about where you lack discipline. I welcome any ideas of how you can be more disciplined in daily life. Pray for God to give you the wisdom just like it says in James 1. He will grant wisdom.

1 comment: